Sunday, May 25, 2014

Today in Concord: A BOBCAT!!

I've spent a lot of my life outdoors. I have never seen a bobcat. Until today! What an awesome sighting in Concord. The cat was skulking across the field at Kaveski Farm. At first I thought it was a coyote but once I got it in the scope I knew it was a cat. For a split second I thought it was a Mountain Lion because of its size but I quickly snapped to when I saw that tail. Here are my poor record photos. I was too excited to focus my camera!




After Kaveski it was on to Great Meadows. The highlight here was a huge gathering of swallows. They were congregating on the boardwalk. Barn, Tree, Bank, and Cliff were all together. It was like swallow ID school. Really cool to see them up close. Scope views were filled with a Cliff Swallow image. Other highlights were a Purple Martin, Yellow-throated Vireo, FOY Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Virginia Rails, and Willow Flycatchers.  Jeffrey Offerman spotted an unidentified Empid in the parking lot area. See below of photos of this bird.
Swallow ID Practice



Cliff Swallow 
I've been practicing my Flycatcher calls and felt pretty good about my ID of the Alder, Willow, and Eastern Pewee. Here are the best photos I have of the Empid in question. Jeff heard it calling but I did not.  Please email your ID ideas to me at dhefferon@gmail.com.  Thanks in advance for the input! 
Unknown Empid

Unknown Empid


Unknown Empid
Unknown Empid


No comments:

Post a Comment