Wednesday, December 17, 2014

North Shore to Close out the Year?

I spent some time of the north shore recently, seeking out a Townsend's Warbler at Marblehead Neck Wildlife Sanctuary. I missed him on my first visit but was able to take him down in the neighborhood that abuts the park. He was part of a huge mixed flock of Chickadees, Titmice, Juncos, Nuthatches, Kinglets, and Wrens. This may be my last life bird of 2014 and a good one to go out on.
 

After the hunt for the Townsend's I spent some time "sea-watching" in Gloucester and Rockport. Target birds were alcids and other pelagic birds. I missed the Murres, Kittiwake, Fulmer, and Dovekie but added Razorbill and Black Guillemot. It was really incredible to see the numbers of Scoters and Eiders gathered along the rocky coast at Halibut and Andrew's Point. I'd have to say the Harlequin Ducks remain one of my all-time favorites. All in all it was a successful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment