Sunday, July 20, 2014

Shorebird Extravaganza


Today was great day for shorebirds on Plum Island. I logged 65 species inducing two life birds; a Hudsonian Godwit and Red Knot. I still find shorebirds incredibly tricky but am practicing to eliminate the ones that are most prevalent (ie. Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitcher, Semipalmated Plover, and Killdeer.
Red Knot 
Hudsonian Godwit

Short-billed Dowitcher
The highlight for me was great looks at two or three different Black Skimmers. I'd love for these birds to be a regular site in northern Massachusetts. They are so cool and a case study on evolution and adaptation.





Surprise of the day for me was a Bald Eagle. Not a extraordinary sight at Parker NWR but uncommon for this time of year I believe.

Plus some tern photos for good measure:
Least Tern and Chicks
Least Tern
Oh yeah, and some American Avocets!


No comments:

Post a Comment